Recipe | October 19, 2020
Photo by Erik Williamson
Cauliflower is one of those meaty vegetables that stands up to slow-cooked beef like the short rib. It can handle a lot of spice and caramelisation. The advieh is a turmeric-based spice that goes really well with cauliflower. White bean is a different spin on hummus: delicious creamy whipped pulses go really well with everything!
Time: 45 minutes.
Serves 4-6 people.
For the cauliflower
1 medium cauliflower, or a large one cut into wedges (with leaves attached if organic)
100g garlic oil (recipe with Scotch fillet skewers)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp sea salt
For the advieh spice mix
3 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp dried lime powder *
For the white bean hummus
250g (1 cup) cooked and strained white beans, either tinned or cooked from dry
50g (⅕ cup) white bean water, either from tin or cooking water if cooked yourself
100g (generous ½ cup) tahini paste
100g (generous ½ cup) ice cubes
50g toum (recipe with Short rib)
½ fresh red or green chilli, chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp salt
3 tbsp lemon juice, plus extra for serving
handful mint leaves
Advieh spice mix
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Preheat oven to 180C (360F). Place cauliflower in a mixing bowl, add garlic oil, advieh spice mix, crushed garlic and salt. Rub it all over the cauliflower to make sure it is evenly distributed. Place on a wire rack over a tray and roast for 20-25 mins, or until a skewer can easily go through the cauliflower. If it starts to darken turn your oven down. Set aside, retaining cooking juices for serving.
White bean hummus
3. Use a stick mixer or small blender to combine cooked white beans and bean water. Pulse for 2 minutes scraping the sides.
4. Add tahini and ice and blend for 2 mins, continually scraping the sides.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend for a further 3-5 minutes, or until it forms a smooth hummus.
6. Set aside and drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top so it does not get a skin.
7. Spoon half the hummus on the plate. Place the cauliflower on top, add a squeeze of lemon, some cooking juices, and a handful of mint leaves on top. Serve with extra hummus.